MBBS (S’pore), Doctorate Med, FRCS (Edinburgh),
MRCOphth (London), MMed (Ophthalmology),
Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist,
Lang Eye Centre
Associate Professor, Singapore National Eye Centre
Associate Professor, National University of Singapore
Fellow, Harvard Medical School, USA
Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Fellow, Kyoto Preferectural University, Japan
Dr Leonard Ang is the Medical Director and Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist at Lang Eye Centre. He was previously an Associate Professor at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) and the Department of Ophthalmology at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS), and was the Principal Investigator and Group Leader of the ocular surface stem cell and tissue engineering programmes at SNEC and the Singapore Eye Research Institute. He was formerly the Medical Director at The Eye & Cornea Transplant Centre (TECTC) and the Premium Lasik Surgery Clinic (PLSC).
Dr Ang specialises in cataract surgery, cornea disease treatment, cornea transplantation, glaucoma treatment, retinal disease treatment, stem cell transplantation, and refractive surgery (LASIK, Epi-LASIK, Implantable Contact Lens).
He obtained his Ophthalmology specialist degrees from Singapore, Edinburgh and London. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCS), the Royal College of Ophthalmologists of London (FRCOpth) and the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (FAMS). He is one of the few doctors in Singapore to be conferred the Doctorate of Medicine degree.
Having completed his specialist training in Singapore, he went on to complete advanced training fellowships in cornea and refractive surgery and trained with some of the top cornea and refractive surgeons and stem cell experts at prestigious eye centres around the world, including University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in USA, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine in Japan, and Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in USA.
Dr Ang’s achievements include pioneering new methods for cornea and stem cell transplantation, cornea and ocular surface stem cell expansion and bioengineering of eye tissues for ocular surface transplantation and reconstruction. His group pioneered the use of serum-free derived bioengineered conjunctival tissues for treating eye diseases. He also pioneered bioengineered oral (mouth) stem cell transplantation for severe cornea disease in Singapore. He has also published extensively on glaucoma and its treatment, with many of his articles being widely cited in international peer-reviewed journals.
He specialises in treating complex cornea diseases and was specially trained at Harvard Medical School in artificial cornea transplantation (Boston keratoprosthesis). He performed the first series of Boston keratoprosthesis transplantations in Singapore and South East Asia, and has helped to restore the vision of many local and international patients with complex cornea diseases. He also performed the first series of Paediatric Boston keratoprosthesis transplantations in Singapore and South East Asia for blinding childhood cornea diseases
Dr Ang was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award in 2005, Singapore’s highest honour in Science and Technology. He has won 30 international and local scientific awards for his outstanding work in ophthalmology, including the NUS Young Scientist Award, NUS Research Excellence Award and the Singapore Clinician Investigator Award. He has extensive experience in the fields of cornea and ocular surface disease treatment, cornea and stem cell transplantation, and treatment of complex cornea diseases. He has written more than 90 articles in international journals and scientific publications, 7 book chapters and has given more than 130 conference presentations.
International and Local Awards
- Singapore Clinician Investigator Award – Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress Nov 2010.
- Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award 2005.
- Young Researcher Award, National University of Singapore 2006.
- Research Excellence Award, National University of Singapore 2005.
- Best Scientific Paper (Translational Research) – Singhealth-Duke NUS Scientific Congress 2012.
- Best Paper Award – Alcon Research Prize (Senior Category) – National Healthcare Group 4th International Ophthalmology Congress Nov 2011.
- Best Paper Award – Alcon Research Prize (Senior Category) – NHG 3rd International Ophthalmology Congress Nov 2010.
- NHG Doctor Award (Silver)- National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress Nov 2009
- NHG Eye institute Best Paper Award / Alcon Research Prize- NHG Eye Institute 2nd International Ophthalmology Congress 2009
- Young Investigator Award (Gold award) – National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress Nov 2008
- SGH 17th Annual Scientific Meeting (25 to 26th april 2008) – Best Oral Paper (Clinical)- 1st prize
- Best Oral presentation (Merit) – Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Jun 2006.
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – 2nd Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology-Singapore Eye Research Institute Meeting Feb 2005.
- EXSA Excellent Service Award- Star Customer Champion 2006.
- Best Oral presentation – Ethicon Surgical Book Prize. National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress, 9-10 Oct 2004, Singapore.
- Best Poster Award – SNEC 15th International Meeting, 5-6 Sep 2004.
- Young Investigator Award (Outstanding) – 22nd Singapore-Malaysia Joint Meeting in Ophthalmology / 5th Singapore National Eye Research Meeting May 2004.
- National Excellence Service Award (Gold) 2005.
- Best Poster Award – 5th Combined Annual Scientific Meeting / 4th GSS-FOM Scientific Meeting May 2004.
- Best Paper Award – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting Apr 2004, San Diego, USA.
- Young Investigator Award – 14th Singapore General Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting Sep 2003.
- Best Free Paper – 14th Singapore General Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting Sep 2003.
- National Excellence Service Award (Silver) 2004.
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – First Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology-Singapore Eye Research Institute Meeting Feb 2003.
- The Eye Institute-Pharmacia Research Prize For Outstanding Original Paper 2002.
- Young Investigator Award- Visual Science (Outstanding) – 20th Singapore Malaysia Joint Meeting In Ophthalmology / 4th Singapore National Eye Research Meeting 2002.
- The Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology Santen Pharmaceutical Travel Fellowship Award, Florida, USA, Apr 2002.
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – First Singapore Eye Research Institute International Meeting 2001.
- Best Poster Award – 3rd Annual Combined Scientific Meeting- SSMB, BRETSS, SSBMB 2001.
Lang Eye Centre Pte Ltd
38 Irrawaddy Road, #08-46/47, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre, Singapore 329563