Dr Peter Eng obtained his medical degree from the National University of Singapore in 1988 and his post graduate medical degree from the Royal College of Physicians in the United Kingdom in 1994. He then trained as a specialist in endocrinology at the Singapore General Hospital from 1994 to 1997 and was subsequently awarded a fellowship to train at the Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston for 18 months from 1998 to 1999. He received his Specialist Accreditation in Endocrinology in 2000 and was inducted as a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. In 2006, he was inducted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom.
Dr Eng served as a Consultant at the Department of Endocrinology at the Singapore General Hospital from 2000 to 2005 and Senior Consultant from 2005 onwards. From 2001 to 2006, he also served as the Director of the Diabetes Center at the Singapore General Hospital. In additional to his clinical posts, he had a concurrent teaching appointment as a Clinical Lecturer with the National University of Singapore. He left institutional practice in 2006 to start his own practice at Mt Elizabeth Medical Centre but remains a Visiting Consultant at Singapore General Hospital, Jurong General Hospital and Dover Park Hospice.
In 1998, Dr Eng was awarded the HMDP Fellowship Award by the Singapore Ministry of Health for further training in endocrinology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. During his fellowship, he won the Knoll Thyroid Research Clinical Fellowship Award at the 1999 meeting of the Endocrine Society for outstanding research in the thyroid field. He also received an American Thyroid Association Travel Grant Award as well as a Singapore National Medical Research Council Research Fellowship award in the same year. In 2005, He received a Service Quality Award from the Singapore General Hospital in 2004 and a Distinguished Reviewer award from the Singapore Medical Association in 2005.
Dr Eng’s primary subspecialty interests are in the fields of diabetes and thyroid disorders He has secondary interests in lipid disorders, testosterone deficiency, erectile dysfunction, osteoporosis, calcium disorders, endocrine hypertension, adrenal disorders, pituitary disorders and obesity. During his tenure at the Singapore General Hospital and in private practice, he has experience in the management of the following conditions:
- Type 1 & type 2 diabetes
- Complicated diabetic patients
- Patients on insulin pump
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Post-transplant and steroid induced diabetes
- All forms of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Thyroid disease in pregnancy and post-delivery
- Thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer
- All forms of lipid disorders
- Patients with erectile dysfunction, gynaecomastia and testosterone deficiency
- Primary and secondary forms of osteoporosis
- Hypercalcaemia, hypocalcaemia and vitamin D deficiency
- All forms of pituitary disease including acromegaly, Cushing’s syndrome, prolactinomas, diabetes insipidus, hypopituitarism, growth hormone deficiency and non-functioning pituitary tumours
- Patients with endocrine hypertension arising from Conn’s syndrome and phaeochromocytoma
- Incidental adrenal nodules and adrenal cancer
- Overweight and Obesity
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Rare endocrine disorders including insulinoma and ectopic Cushing’s disease
Peter Eng Endocrine Clinic
3 Mount Elizabeth, #10-07 Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre , Singapore 228510