MMed (Internal Medicine)
- Specialist in Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy.
- Trained in Singapore General Hospital, National University Hospital Singapore and in the United Kingdom at the teaching hospitals University Hospital Nottingham and Derby City General Hospital – now Royal Derby Hospital.
- Pro-bono professional contributions as elected member of the Singapore Medical Council, Chairman of SMC’s Medical Ethics Committee and in Board Committees of Hospitals.
- Contributions to the global community through international youth development programmes community aid projects and humanitarian disaster relief missions.
- Contributions to the local community through Board leadership positions in non-profit organisations and as Chairman of the Lien Centre for Social Innovation in SMU.
- Interests beyond medicine include management training (Harvard Business School Advanced Management Programme) and Executive and Organisational Coaching, as a qualified Coach with Columbia University Certification.
- Would love to chat with patients about many countries , travel and photography, scuba diving, skiing, cooking, food and wine appreciation.
Educational and Training Background
Dr Tan Chi Chiu studied at the Anglo Chinese School and Junior College, and then graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1983 with Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, with a distinction in Pathology. He pursued specialist training in Internal Medicine and obtained his Memberships of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of United Kingdom and Ireland, as well as Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine, in 1988. He specialised in Gastroenterology and was accorded the Fellowship of the Academy of Medicine in Gastroenterology in 1993 and recognised by the Ministry of Health as a specialist in Gastroenterology. He was further conferred the Fellowships of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of Edinburgh and London in 1996 and 1998 respectively.
Dr Tan trained in the Singapore General Hospital and National University Hospital in Singapore. He spent two years in the United Kingdom (affiliated to the teaching hospitals University Hospital Nottingham and Derby City General Hospital – now the Royal Derby Hospital) as an advanced specialist trainee in therapeutic endoscopy and laser endoscopy. He was also attached to the Endoscopy Department of the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam for enhanced exposure to techniques of therapeutic Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography (ERCP).
Professional Appointments and Memberships
Dr Tan was appointed Consultant in Gastroenterology and Medicine in the Department of General Medicine of Tan Tock Seng Hospital in 1995, where he went on to found and head the Gastroenterology Unit. He was also Chairman of the Endoscopy Committee of the hospital. Dr Tan has conducted original research in Gastroenterology and Hepatology and published many articles in peer reviewed medical journals. He is now the consultant Gastroenterologist in Gastroenterology & Medicine International in Gleneagles Medical Centre.
Dr Tan is an elected member of the Singapore Medical Council (since 1999), where he is the Chairman of the Ethics Committee. He has been Chairman of the Endoscopy Committee and Member of the Medical Advisory Board of Gleneagles Hospital. He is a member of the British Gastroenterological Society, Gastroenterological Society of Singapore and the Singapore Medical Association.
Gastroenterology & Medicine International
6 Napier Road, Gleneagles Medical Centre #10-08, Singapore 258499