MBBS (Singapore), MRCP (UK), FAMS (Gastroenterology), FACG(USA), FRCP(Edin)
Dr Yim Heng Boon received the MBBS degree in Medicine from the National University of Singapore in 1990 and the MRCP Master’s degree from the Royal College of Physicians (UK) in 1996. In 1999, he was awarded the Ministry of Health’s scholarship in Advanced Endoscopy at the Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, USA. In 2007, he was awarded a second scholarship in Endoscopic Surgery for Early Gastric Cancer at the National Cancer Centre, Tokyo, Japan.
Dr Yim Heng Boon was Director of Endoscopy as well as Chairman of Endoscopy Committee at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He was Deputy Head and Senior Consultant at the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
Dr Yim is Adjunct Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore and continues to contribute in the teaching of medical undergraduates and junior doctors. He was previously a member of the expert panel for the Institute of Family Medicine. In 2007, he was appointed Visiting Honorary Lecturer to the Faculty of Medicine, University of North Sumatra, Indonesia. He was also appointed Visiting Associate Professor to Vietnam Ministry of Health Choray Hospital since 2010.
He is Editor of “Endoscopic Ultrasound” journal and reviewer for renowned international journals like “Gastrointestinal Endoscopy “and “European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology”. He has numerous publications, especially in the field of endoscopy and is still regularly invited as local and international faculty to give lectures as well as to perform endoscopic procedures.
Dr Yim treats all general gastroenterology and hepatology cases, including oesophageal, gastric, liver, pancreatic and bowel cancers, peptic ulcer disease, large and small bowel diseases (including inflammatory bowel diseases), gallstone disease, functional gut disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, acute and chronic hepatitis (including hepatitis A, B, C, D, E), fatty liver, liver cirrhosis and liver failure.
Dr Yim’s main expertise is in the area of advanced diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy:
• Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy (including removal of polyps)
• ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiography), including spyglass cholangioscopy
• EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound), including fine needle aspiration, injection and drainage
• EMR (Endsoscopic Mucosal Resection)
• ESD (Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection)
• Intragastric Balloon Placement for weight reduction
• Double Balloon Enteroscopy for diagnostic and therapeutic small bowel management
• Video Capsule Endoscopy for small bowel diagnostic evaluation
• Enteral stenting (including that of oesophagus, stomach, duodenum, colon, biliary tree)
• Endoscopic Laser Therapy
• National University of Singapore – 1985 – 1990 MBBS ( Singapore) ( Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery)
• Royal College of Physicians United Kingdom – March 1996 MRCP ( UK) (Member of Royal College of Physicians of the United Kingdom)
• Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certificate (August 98) ECFMG , USA
• Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore (FAMS Gastroenterology) July 2001
• Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology (FACG) February 2004
• Senior Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
• Visiting Associate Professor, Choray Hospital, Vietnam Ministry of Health, Vietnam
• Elected Council Member, College of Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore 2012
• Deputy Head, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
• Director of Endoscopy Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
• Chairman, Endoscopy Committee, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
• Visiting Consultant, National Cancer Centre, Singapore
• Visiting Consultant, National University Hospital, Singapore
• Honorary Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, University of North Sumatra, Medan, Indonesia
• 20 Years Long Service Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, 2012
• Second Health Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) overseas scholarship at National Cancer Centre, Tokyo, Nov to Dec 2007
• Excellent Service Award (EXSA), Star Award, 2006
• Excellent Service Award (EXSA), Gold Award, 2005
• Excellent Service Award (EXSA), Silver Award, 2004
• Service Champion Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, May 2004
• Quality Assurance Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Nov 2003.
• Courage Star Award for contribution to SARS outbreak, Oct 2003.
• 10 Years Long Service Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, 2002.
• Health Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) overseas scholarship at Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, USA 1999 to 2000
Yim Gastroenterology Liver And Endoscopy Centre
38 Irrawaddy Road, #07-39, Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre, Singapore 329563